- New corn products should be evaluated for response to soil type prior to planting. Product placement for any farming operation is important to help maximize the value of the selected products for the acre planted.
- New corn products and refuge products remain a focus of our program at the Bayer Learning Center at Scott, Mississippi.
- This trial was conducted to:
- Help evaluate the adaptation of new, existing, and refuge DEKALB® brand corn products to two radically different soil types.
- Evaluate yield potential for new, existing, and refuge corn products from DEKALB® brand as an aid to help growers:
- With corn product placement.
- Remain compliant with refuge management plans.
- Collect optimum value from DEKALB® brand corn products.
- This information is important for correctly placing products for maximum yield potential, good stewardship of biotechnology traits, maintaining compliance, and optimizing performance of DEKALB® brand products over time.
RESEARCH SITE DETAILS
|Soil Type||Commerce Silt Loam
- Plot design was a large block, single replicate design.
- Nitrogen was applied in-season at 240 lb/acre. All other agronomic practices were per the standards for the area.
- Soil types on which corn products were evaluated:
- Commerce Silt Loam, SAND, CEC = 18 meq/100g
- Sharkey Clay, CLAY, CEC = 45 meq/100g
- For each soil type, corn products were planted at a seeding rate of 37,500 seeds/acre and about 95% of the seeds emerged.
- A commercial scale planter was used.
- For this trial, 20 DEKALB® brand products were planted (Table 1).
- Harvest Information
- Trial was harvested with a commercial scale combine.
- Data was recorded using Precision Planting® YieldSense yield monitor.
- Corn grain yield data were corrected to 15.5% moisture for presentation.
UNDERSTANDING THE RESULTS
Corn products should be evaluated for yield and standability response to population prior to planting.
Differences do exist, use the correct products for your production environment.
Please see your local DEKALB® brand seed representative for more information.